Thursday, July 1, 2010

Prelude: Hitting the Track ( Weekly Updates)

For those who have followed "The Storm Report" thus far, we bring you something special. Starting next week, every Wednesday will be "Toe this Line Wednesdays" where we will bring you coverage of the Westchester Summer Twilight Track & Field Series. You will find winning race times, interview write ups, and photos of the best running talent that Westchester County has to offer.

With the Westchester Summer Twilight Track & Field Series, the first three week will take place at Hendrick Hudson High School on dates July 6th, July 13th, and July 20th. The final three weeks of the 6 week series will conclude at Somers High School on dates July 27th, August 3rd, and August 10th (All dates are on Tuesdays). First gun will be set to go off at 4: 30pm for kids events, followed by the adult races slated to go off at 6: 30pm. (Be sure to check the official information form below to see schedule of events.)

Entry fees for the Westchester Summer Twilight Track & Field Series are $5 per event or $6 for unlimited events. This makes a great event to get out into the community and support healthy and fit life style.

If any participants have a story of reaching on the joy of running or of reaching a Personal Best (PR). Be sure to reach out to us here at the Storm Report. "Your stories make it happen."
(Note: Some material will be used in the weekly North County News.)

(Click Here to See Official Information)

Hope to see you all at Hendrick Hudson High School on July 6th for a night of great fun and high octane running.
-Mike Rossillo
(editor and chief of "The Storm Report.")

Contact Info:
 email: BoSox24@optonline.net



1 comment:

  1. Not a participant.

    Suddenly someone knocks at the door, “Housekeeping,” the maid says loudly. I jump out of bed and look at my phone for the time, nothing, it was dead. “Come back later,” I yell back. I quickly search for a clock, It’s on the floor. ‘9:00am’ It read. “Oh my god, only a half an hour” I say a little too loudly. I start dashing around the room packing all my clothing as I trip over one of my shoes. I put my hands out a little too late and my knee hits the leg of the bed which happens to be metal. It slices my skin open. I grab a long cloth napkin from the bathroom and tie it around my now bleeding knee. I’m soaking the cloth napkin with blood as I hastily finish up packing and put some shorts on over my boxers. I run out of my room, not worrying about the blood on the carpet.

    I push the button for the elevator but for some reason it was stuck on the second floor. In a great deal of pain and a large backpack on, I run down from the fourth floor. I make my way to the counter to pay for my stay, while I ask for the time. “9:10,” the man says. ‘Crap,’ I angrily thought, ‘only 20 minutes.’ I rush out as I say “Keep the change.”

    This couldn’t get much worse when I saw that the streets were backed up with cars, considering it was rush hour ‘til about 10am. I had to run but two and a half miles in 20 minutes? ‘No way’ I thought. I wasn’t a fast runner to begin with, I have a heavy backpack, and my knee is in a lot of pain. I had to make it.

    I started running, every step filled with pain. I looked down noticing that the cloth napkin was drenched in blood and there is blood dripping down my leg, probably scaring the people around me. I looked up at the street names and over to a bank who was displaying the time, ‘Wow,’ I happily thought, ‘One mile in 8 minutes.’ I didn’t think I had it in me. I caught a glimpse of a person’s face, they were surely confused and took sympathy for my knee. The pain didn’t matter much more because all I could feel was the rush of the wind through my brown hair and the adrenaline pumping it’s way throughout my veins. This is the best run I had in months and the fastest for that matter. The next mile and a half flew by and I was finally there.

    I looked up at a clock, ‘9:29am’ it read. One minute to go, I had to hurry. I sprinted to the nearest display to find what track i was on. ‘Track 15’ I thought, thankfully the closest one to me. I ran down the stairs and I just slipped through the closing train doors.

    I sat down at the closest seat I could find. I took off my backpack and stumbled to the nearest bathroom. I washed my leg with what I had and I took off my favorite white shirt and replaced the cloth napkin. I went back to my seat noticing that people didn’t much care for me, like this happened everyday for them. My girlfriend will be very surprised what I went through to see her. It was the only train for the next three days and I haven’t seen her in a year.

    ReplyDelete